14 hrs 30 mins
A lovely way to use up those tomatoes! From the Ball Blue Book of Canning! Prep time includes marinating time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash and drain tomatoes.
- 2Do not core tomatoes.
- 3Tie spices and gingerroot in a spice bag.
- 4Combine spice bag, sugar, lemon and water in a large saucepot.
- 5Simmer 15 minutes.
- 6Add tomatoes; cook gently until tomatoes become transparent, stirring frequently to prevent sticking.
- 7Remove from heat.
- 8Cover and let stand 12 to 18 hours in a cool place.
- 9Remove spice bag.
- 10Remove tomatoes and lemon from syrup.
- 11Boil syrup 2 to 3 minutes or longer to thicken.
- 12Return tomatoes and lemon to syrup; boil 1 minute.
- 13Remove from heat.
- 14Skim foam if necessary.
- 15Ladle hot preserves into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
- 16Adjust two-piece caps.
- 17Process 20 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
- 18Yield: about 6 half-pints.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato Preserves
Serving Size: 1 (2024 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 536.8
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 32.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 137.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 133.2 g
- Protein 1.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: