Prep 35 mins
Cook 45 mins
Works very well for a leasurely Sunday or holiday breakfast, tastes as good as it looks. Recipe can be doubled.
- 4 large firm tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheese (, Sharp cheddar or parmesan)
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Cut tops off the tomatoes with a sharp knife, remove core and seeds.
- Sprinkle the insides with salt, turn upside down on paper towels to drain for 30 minutes.
- Blot as much moisture as you can from the inside of each tomato and make 4 small slits around the top with a sharp knife.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees, bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove and put 2 tablespoons cheese into each tomato.
- Break an egg into each tomato and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the cream to boiling point and spoon it into the eggs, top each with a pat of butter and the remaining cheese.
- Bake for a further 5-10 minutes .
Wow, what a beautiful presentation for a breakfast! The flavor was wonderful, too. I did have to bake mine longer (more like 12-15 minutes) so the eggs would set. Thanks, Derf, for the unique breakfast idea! :-)