Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a favorite of my DH. He always askes for this one. It is meant for Vermont White Cheddar, but any strong cheddar will do. It does take some time, but it is well worth it. Makes a large batch. Given to me by my aunt.
- 12 ounces beer (or use broth)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 lbs potatoes (peeled and cut in chunks)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 carrot (sliced)
- 1 stalk celery (sliced)
- 5 garlic cloves
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup cream
- Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- In large stock pot, bring beer and broth to a boil. Add potatoes, bay leaves, basil and oregano. Boil for about 30 mins or till potatoes are soft, stiring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Melt butter in a large fry pan. Add onions, celery, carrots, garlic and tomatoes. Simmer on low till very soft and pasty. This may take 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except for cheese to tomato mixture, mix well. Add the tomato mixture to the potatoes and add cheese. Bring back to simmer long enough to heat through.
- Remove bay leaves and enjoy.
This is a delicious, easy to prepare soup. Nice blend of flavors. We used low-sodium soy sauce, and skipped the tabasco. Made for Potluck Tag. Thanks for posting MsSally!
This soup was very tasty. I cut the recipe in half for a family of 4. To cut down on the cook time I used canned diced potatoes. I left out the beer but added more broth. I didn't have any tabasco sauce so I added cayenne pepper to give it some heat. Thanks for a wonderful recipe...
I made this soup for lunch today and it was delicious! I loved the combination of the cheese with the tomatoes. The spices were great along with the veggies. I will definately be making this again! Thanks for sharing it with us Sally! Made and reviewed for Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #14. Linda