Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I found this years ago in a Canadian Living Magazine. I made it several times, then forgot about it until recently, only I couldn't find my copy of the recipe. Sooooo, I guessed at it and it came out pretty much the way I remember. My recipe calls for 2 cloves of garlic, but use at your own discretion.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 large potatoes
- 6 cups diced plum tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons grated asiago cheese
- Combine tomatoes, basil, garlic, a sprinkling of salt and pepper and olive oil, toss and let sit for 1/2 to 1 hour.
- Slice potato and eggplant into roughly 1/4" slices.
- Spray a 9" x 9" tall cassarole dish with non-stick spray.
- Layer as follows; tomato, potato, tomato, eggplant, until there aren't any vegetables left.
- Bake in 350 oven for 1 to 1-1/5 hours, periodically pressing vegetables down into the tomato juices.
- Note: Cheese can be omitted, or you can use romano, mozzerella, or parmasan.
- Serve with a green salad.
It's wintertime so I used canned tomatoes but otherwise followed the recipe. Next time I would add herbs and other seasonings such as garlic and/or onion, etc. to add more interest to the flavor. The eggplant was delicious.