Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a popular Indian snack (a speciality of Gujratis) served around tea time. I am absolutely in love with this snack. I enjoyed it tonight, it was my dinner:) Its very tasty and easy to make as well, also filling and really enjoyable.
- 1 cup poha (flattened or beaten rice)
- 1 stalk curry leaf, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 medium green chilies
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tomatoes, medium-sized,chopped
- 1⁄4 cup ground nuts, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, for garnishing
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 potato, small-sized,diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- Wash poha.
- Drain water.
- Refresh with just sufficient water to cover poha and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, drain out water completely, loosen poha and break lumps, if any.
- Add salt, lime juice, turmeric powder and red chilli powder to poha.
- Mix well using a spoon.
- In a broad saucepan or heavy based pan, heat oil.
- Add mustard and cumin seeds.
- Allow to crackle.
- Add onions, green chillies and curry leaves.
- Stir-fry on medium-high flame until onions turn golden brown.
- Add potatoes and tomatoes, mixing well.
- After 3-5 minutes, add groundnuts and poha and mix well.
- Cook on low flame for 5-7 minutes.
- (Please keep mixing every minute in order to ensure that poha does not stick to the bottom of the vessel).
- Remove from flame.
- Transfer to a serving dish.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately.
The best poha recipe ever! I don't like tomatoes in my poha so just left them out and had "regular" poha for my lunch today. I'll be using this recipe often. Thanks Charishma :)
hi charishma, absolutely delicious recipe! my husband does not eat flattened rice but he loved this very much. thanks for posting this recipe. i will search for some more recipes that you might have written.
oh yes charishma i have been making poha the same way n eating it for years its really good if u wanna loose weight fills the stomach without much calorie count i love this with aloo bundi raita !!!!