Kitchen Kozy's Note:
Asparagus is one of my favorite culinary ways to welcome spring. I almost always make this recipe for Passover, which falls at just the right time of year. It would also be great for Easter for the same reason. This is a pretty flexible dish -- you can play with quantities, change up the onions, etc. and it still turns out delicious. I have been replacing much of the butter with olive oil, and that works fine too. Cooking time assumes pre-trimmed and pre-cooked asparagus, though what I usually do is trim it (it's more tender if you break it wherever it breaks naturally than if you cut it) and start it steaming, then make the sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb asparagus spear, trimmed and steamed
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup shallot, minced
- 3 medium tomatoes, seeded & chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (optional)
- 1/4 cup leeks (optional) or 1/4 cup scallion, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 dash salt (to taste)
- 1 dash pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 lb pistachios, shelled
- 1Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat.
- 2Add the shallots and saute until soft and translucent.
- 3Add the remaining ingredients, except the pistachios, and stir until heated through.
- 4Pour the mixture over the cooked asparagus spears.
- 5Garnish with the pistachios and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato & Pistachio Asparagus
Serving Size: 1 (177 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 310.1
- Calories from Fat 223
- Total Fat 24.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 162.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 9.6 g