1/9 Photos of Tomato Pie/Tomato Bread
Locals make this with Creole tomatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons onions, minced
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh herb (basil or parlsey, can substitute 1/4 tsp dried)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups baking mix such as Bisquick (good clones or substitutes on Zaar)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 -5 ripe tomatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices (best if using center slices drained 10 minutes if extra juicy)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese or 2 tablespoons romano cheese
- 1Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- 2Thoroughly mix mayonnaise, cheddar cheese, minced onions, herbs and pepper; set aside.
- 3In large mixing bowl, mix together baking mix, baking powder, buttermilk and water.
- 4With floured fingers, pat mixture into the bottom and sides of a lightly greased and floured 9" pie pan.
- 5Bake crust 10 minutes. Remove from oven.
- 6Arrange tomato slices on top of crust to completely cover; cut smaller pieces of tomato to fill in gaps. At this point you may want to lightly salt the tomatoes.
- 7Spread mayonnaise mixture over tomatoes and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- 8Bake until biscuit is nicely browned and top is bubbly, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- 9Cut into wedges and served still warm or if made ahead, briefly reheat in low oven.
- 10Refrigerate leftovers.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato Pie/Tomato Bread
Serving Size: 1 (197 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 393.1
- Calories from Fat 224
- Total Fat 24.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 32.4 mg
- Sodium 790.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 9.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: