Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Locals make this with Creole tomatoes.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons onions, minced
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh herb (basil or parlsey, can substitute 1/4 tsp dried)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups baking mix such as Bisquick (good clones or substitutes on Zaar)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 4 -5 ripe tomatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices (best if using center slices drained 10 minutes if extra juicy)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese or 2 tablespoons romano cheese
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Thoroughly mix mayonnaise, cheddar cheese, minced onions, herbs and pepper; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, mix together baking mix, baking powder, buttermilk and water.
- With floured fingers, pat mixture into the bottom and sides of a lightly greased and floured 9" pie pan.
- Bake crust 10 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Arrange tomato slices on top of crust to completely cover; cut smaller pieces of tomato to fill in gaps. At this point you may want to lightly salt the tomatoes.
- Spread mayonnaise mixture over tomatoes and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake until biscuit is nicely browned and top is bubbly, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Cut into wedges and served still warm or if made ahead, briefly reheat in low oven.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
I absolutely loved this with the biscuit crust instead of a pie dough crust. This is definately the best tomato pie recipe out there. I used half cheddar and half mozzarella cheese, and then realized I was out of Parm cheese. Next time will make sure I have parm cheese as well. Great recipe!
Made for ZWT 6 and really love this. I used one of the make-your-own Bisquick recipes on Zaar and it was great. Perfect for all those summer tomatoes! I'm a Quisine Queen!!
LOVE THIS! This is so delicious. I used Arrowhead Mills Organic Buckwheat Pancake & Waffle Mix because it's what I had on hand. It made for a nice filling crust. Who knew that tomatoes, cheese, some herbs, and mayonnaise would be so simple yet so heavenly. Made for P-A-R-T-Y 2009. Thanks for posting this gailanng!