Recipe by NoThyme2Cook
A friend of mine has been talking about her favorite summer dish, tomato pie, for several days. She said it was a Paula Dean recipe, so I found it online and made a few changes to fit my gluten-free requirements. It was super-delicious!
- 1 gluten-free pizza crust
- 3 tablespoons fresh mozzarella cheese (from the deli)
- 3 -4 slices bacon, fried
- 1 medium ripe tomatoes
- 3 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, snipped
- 2 thick slices sweet onions
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Bring fresh mozzarella to room temperature Slice the tomato and lay the slices in a single layer in a colander in the sink. Sprinkle it with a little salt and let it sit for 10 minutes while you are slicing and chopping the rest.
- Spread the mozzarella on the pizza crust. Top with the onion slices. Cut the fat off the cooked bacon and chop the meat. Spread the bacon meat evenly over the onion slices. Give the dog the fat.
- Next, sprinkle the snipped chives and basil over the bacon.
- Place four tomato slices on top of the other ingredients.
- Mix the mayonnaise and cheddar and place a dollop on each tomato slice.
- Cook at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until the topping is lightly browned.