Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
You could also use low-fat or fat-free mayo and cheese.
- 1 (9 inch) deep dish pie shells
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt (this is for the draining process)
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chives
- 1 teaspoon all purpose Greek seasoning
- 5 -6 green onions
- salt and black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Bake pie crust at 400 degrees on bottom rack of oven for about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Peel tomatoes and thinly slice.
- Sprinkle tomato slices with salt, set aside and allow to drip in colander for about 15 minutes then dab with paper towels to remove some of the moisture.
- Chop together the basil, oregano, chives and green onions and mix together with Greek seasoning, salt and pepper, mixing well.
- Add in layers half of the tomato slices in crust, sprinkle liberally with half of the herb mixture, add the other layer of tomatoes and sprinkle with other half of herb mixture.
- Mix together the mayonnaise and cheddar cheese and spread over top of pie, sealing with sides of crust.
- Bake in 350 degree oven about 30 minutes until golden brown.
Terri , I will admit , I had my doubts about this , but it just sounded so interesting I had to try it. I am SO glad I did!! This has a zippy flavor and creamy comfort on top, all in one! My husband isn't a huge fan of tomatoes, but he gave it a thumbs up also and said he'd like it again! Daughter also said it was really good! I think I'll wait til the price of tomatoes goes down before I make it again though! *LOL* Very easy dish to put together! Thanks for a great addition to my cookbook! Prepared for PYC event , 2004