Recipe by seahorse73
Saw this on Cooking with Paula Deen, this is so good!
Top Review by MarshHen
This is an excellent summer pie and I've made it for years. Here's how I drain my tomato slices for the recipe. I place my tomato slices on several layers of paper towels on my baking cooling racks that I have placed in my large sheet pans. I salt the tomato slices and then place several layers of paper towels on top and then I place one baking sheet on top of the other with another pan on top to apply just enough pressure to drain the tomatoes without squashing them. It works great and my pies are never watery. I also add bacon bits to the recipe and only use 1/2 a cup of mayo. As others have mentioned, green tomatoes work well in the recipe, too.
- 4 tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 prebaked 9-inch deep dish pie crust
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blind bake the pie crust, so it is not soggy.
- Place the tomatoes in a colander in the sink in 1 layer.
- Sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for 10 minutes or longer, if you don't the pie will fall apart.
- Layer the tomato slices, basil and onion in pie shell.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the grated cheeses and mayonnaise together.
- Spread mixture on top of the tomatoes and bake for 30 minutes until lightly browned.
- To serve: cut into slices and serve warm.