Recipe by Malriah
Great summery pie using leeks and tomatoes. Don't worry, its not sweet. Use low fat cheese to make it even better for you. From Woman's Day magazine. TIP: Serve within 1 hour to avoid soggy crust
- 1 9 inch pie shell, baked
- 2 leeks, washed and chopped (about 4 cups)
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a skillet.
- Add leeks and saute until soft, about 6 minutes.
- Add garlic, oregeno, salt and pepper and saute until garlic in fragrant.
- Remove to a plate.
- Wipe skillet with a few wadded paper towels.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil and bread crumbs.
- Stir for 3 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Sprinkle 1 cup leeks over bottom of the pie crust.
- Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Lay tomato wedges on their sides on top of the cheese in one layer.
- Top with remaining leeks; sprinkle bread crumbs around the edges.
- Bake for 35 minutes in a 350 degree oven or until hot and tomatoes are hot.
- Remove from oven and allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving.