Recipe by cylee
Family recipe handed down. Every time I make this for a gathering, I am asked for the recipe by everyone!! Use only the freshest tomatoes for this, if you can get true "Hanover" tomatoes you'll love this even more! What a way to use all those summer tomatoes, yummm!!! Even better the second day....if there is any left!
- 1 (9 inch) deep dish pie shells, unbaked
- 4 -5 large tomatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 -2 vidalia onion, sliced thin and separated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or powder to taste)
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise (Dukes!)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 lb lean bacon, fried and crumbled (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread sliced tomatoes on paper towels and let sit for about 20 minutes to remove excess liquids. You can sprinkle with salt at this point if using salt.
- Bake pie shell for 10 min at 375 (prick w/ fork first). Remove from oven.
- Layer tomatoes and onion rings in shell, sprinkling each layer with pepper, basil and garlic (and bacon if you choose touse!).
- Combine mayonnaise and cheese.
- Spread over tomatoes.
- Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until pie is browned and bubbly.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- **Note it is important to SPREAD the mayo mixture over entire pie, don't just "dollop" it on --
- **Note you may also need to tent with aluminum foil about half-way through cooking to keep crust from getting too brown.