Recipe by Kermit in Huntsville
China Bayle's Series by Susan Wittig Albert. Try for lunch or light dinner
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 large tomatoes (sliced thin and drained on paper towels)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil (chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup green onion (chopped)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 cup swiss cheese
- 3 eggs (beaten)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 5 slices bacon (precooked for 2 minutes)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Mix bread crumbs and dried herbs and press into bottom of a buttered 9" pie plate.
- Arrange half the tomatoes overlapping them.
- Top with half the basil, green onions and half of the cheese.
- Repeat for the second layer.
- Drizzle the eggs over this layer and add the remaining bread crumbs. Mix nutmeg and parmesan and sprinkle over the bread crumbs.
- Top with diced bacon.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes till set.
- Cool 15 minutes, slice and serve.