Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a recipe I got from a family member years ago. I think it originally came from someones submission to the local newspaper. We have used it and added to it over the years. This is my favorite and simple way of doing it.
- 1 pie shell, unbaked
- 5 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 teaspoons dried basil or 3 teaspoons freshly torn basil leaves or 3 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 3⁄4 cup good mayonnaise (not miracle whip or other sweet type mayo)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- Layer tomatoes, sprinkling each layer with seasonings.
- Mix mayo & cheese (salt, pepper, garlic, and seasonings may also be added to this to make it taste nicer).
- Spread mayo/cheese mixture over the top tomatoes.
- Bake at 350 F for 35-40 minutes on middle rack.
- When top is nicely golden brown, it is ready, let cool and serve slightly warm. It keeps well in the fridge, just heat up in the microwave and you have a wonderful snack!
This tomato pie is just delicious and so easy to make. I had some cherry tomatoes that I needed to use and I picked this recipe. I did add a little red onion but other than that made as directed. It took about 35 minutes to cook and because I baked the pie shell for about 10 minutes (not per the recipe) my pie crust around the edges got really really brown. Doesn't matter. So, so good. Thanks so much for sharing.
This is an excellent recipe! Perfect and not too many ingredients. I put half mozzarella and 1/2 cheddar. This will be staple when all the tomatoes come in! Thanks so much