Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
this dish is great when you have more tomatoes then you know what to do with. It always makes a nice lunch meal, as well as a dinner meal
- 1-9 inch pie crust
- 2-3 tomatoes, sliced
- 1.23 ml chives, basil
- salt and pepper
- 59.14 ml mayonnaise, lite
- 236.59 ml shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven 425F degrees.
- Follow the recipe for basic pie crust but bake the crust for only 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Reduce oven to 400F degrees.
- Line the bottom of pie crust with tomato slices.
- Sprinkle on spices.
- In bowl, mix mayonnaise and cheese.
- Spread evenly over the tomato slices covering all the edges (like putting on iceing).
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Serve at once while still hot and bubbling.
It sounds deceptively simple, but this is a fantastic recipe! It's so tasty, I could easily eat an entire pie by myself. I usually make two at a time because it gets gobbled up so fast.
Sandwiching lightly salted tomatoes between paper towels for about ten minutes will help the pie not be too runny.
I was at my cousins when she was making this pie for dinner (I helped by cutting up the tomatoes) and as I was watching her put it together kept thinking it needed some bacon which she did try. It was really great though I thought it was a bit wet (which is why I only gave it 4 stars) so when I made the recipe, I roasted my tomatoes a bit first and it made all the difference. I also discovered that my pie plates are 12 inch deep dish pie and this recipe would not let me adjust it so I made my own roasted-tomato-pie-434080, which would not have happened without jean1 getting me started.