Recipe by CIndytc
I clipped this recipe out of our newspaper...I made it this weekend and it was easy and tasted wonderful...putting here for safe keeping. I only used red roma tomatoes as that is all I had.
Top Review by Cadillacgirl
This was good, but I had a couple little problems... First, the seeds from the tomatoes made the middle of the pie a little soggy after it sat for a bit when it came out of the oven - I would remove the seeds, made using romas next time. Second, the fresh basil sprinkled on top got a little black. I think next time, I would just sprinkle it on when it comes out of the oven. Thanks for a delicious new way to use up a bumper crop of tomatoes! Made for PAC Fall 2012 UPDATE - used romas with seeds removed, dried basil in the oven and some fresh basil on top right when it came out of the oven and it is HEAVEN!
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 8 phyllo pastry sheets
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3 medium tomatoes, and
- orange tomatoes, sliced
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly grease a large baking sheet. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine butter and garlic. Place 1 phyllo sheet on pan. Brush with butter mixture. Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets and butter mixture.
- Sprinkle phyllo with mozzarella to within 2 1/2 inches of the edges.
- Top with sliced tomatoes, sprinkle with feta and basil. Roll phyllo edges to form a rim around tomatoes.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until phyllo is crisp and cheese is melted.