Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a delicious tomato quiche. I've included a healthy pie crust that goes well with the quiche but for quick preparation you can use a store bought pie crust.
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil or 1⁄3 cup grapeseed oil
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 3⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 cup ice water
- 2 -3 tablespoons ice water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs firm tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pesto sauce
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped basil or 1⁄4 cup parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Chill oil in freezer for 10 minutes or until very cold.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flours and salt. Whisk together until well combined. Set aside.
- Remove the oil from the freezer and drizzle into the flour mixture. Using a fork or dough blender, incorporate until crumbly. Sprinkle in the ice water, tossing the dough with a fork until it is just moist enough to hold together without appearing crumbly. Knead briefly with your hands until dough is smooth and then shape into a round.
- Roll the dough to a thickness of 1/8-1/4 in and approximately 3 inches larger than that of the pie pan. Place in the pie pan and then work it around until it evenly covers the whole pan.
- Layer half the tomato slices in the pie crust and sprinkle with half the feta cheese. Whisk together eggs and pesto until well mixed, and stir in mozzarella, basil/parsley, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Pour half of the mixture over first tomato layer. Add a second layer of tomato slices and top with the rest of the egg mixture. Sprinkle the remaining feta cheese on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until egg mixture firms and feta browns.
I loved the basic recipe idea....but it needed milk or cream to make the custard, as there wasn't enough in the egg mixture to cover the tomatoes and feta.
This was very good (I omitted the crust though), but there really wasn't enough of the egg mixture to spread over the other layers. Is there supposed to be some milk or cream in this?