Recipe by luvmykids
This is a delicious tomato quiche. I've included a healthy pie crust that goes well with the quiche but for quick preparation you can use a store bought pie crust.
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil or 1⁄3 cup grapeseed oil
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 3⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 cup ice water
- 2 -3 tablespoons ice water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs firm tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pesto sauce
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped basil or 1⁄4 cup parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Chill oil in freezer for 10 minutes or until very cold.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flours and salt. Whisk together until well combined. Set aside.
- Remove the oil from the freezer and drizzle into the flour mixture. Using a fork or dough blender, incorporate until crumbly. Sprinkle in the ice water, tossing the dough with a fork until it is just moist enough to hold together without appearing crumbly. Knead briefly with your hands until dough is smooth and then shape into a round.
- Roll the dough to a thickness of 1/8-1/4 in and approximately 3 inches larger than that of the pie pan. Place in the pie pan and then work it around until it evenly covers the whole pan.
- Layer half the tomato slices in the pie crust and sprinkle with half the feta cheese. Whisk together eggs and pesto until well mixed, and stir in mozzarella, basil/parsley, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Pour half of the mixture over first tomato layer. Add a second layer of tomato slices and top with the rest of the egg mixture. Sprinkle the remaining feta cheese on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until egg mixture firms and feta browns.