Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A chunky chutney of tomatoes and peaches in a sweet spiced sauce that will go well with pork chops or poultry. Adapted from a popular cooking and recipe magazine's newsletter.
- 2 1⁄2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped seeded peeled
- 2 cups fresh peaches, chopped peeled
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Combine all the ingredients into a large saucepan.
- Stirring frequently, cook over medium heat for approximately 1 hour or until mixture has thickened.
- Ladle the chutney into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace and adjust caps. Process for 20 minutes in a boiling water bath.
I like the combination of tomatoes and peaches; the peppers were a strong enough addition to the taste that I think if I make it again, I'll cut back on the peppers for a more balanced taste. The combination of sugar, curry powder and ginger was interesting and different.
I didn't know what to think of this one but was very keen on finding a Tomato Chutney recipe and since I have a peach tree decided to see if there was a Tomato Peach version. This one came up and I was leering about the curry in it but tried it anyway. My first sample of the finished product was wonderful. I mixed some into a block of cream cheese and took it to a tomato party as an appetizer spread for crackers an it was a big hit. I am also planning to serve it with grilled pork loin tomorrow to friends coming for dinner. This is wonderful chutney that has a nice sweet yet tangy flavor which I plan on cooking another batch or two while I have fresh tomatos and peaches for use in the winter. Chutney fans should really love this.
it was ok but the flavors didnt compliment each other