Recipe by Dib's
Another way to get rid of the massive tomato harvest!
Top Review by Valeria
In response to the earlier review: Not all tomatoes are good for canning, much less turning into paste. Stokes sells some seeds especially for canning. If you check it out online you can find out which varieties cook down well.
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel, core and chop tomatoes; measure to 8 quarts.
- Add salt.
- Place in a large stainless or enamel pot and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove and put through a food mill.
- Return to pot and continue to cook-around 2 hours-or until it holds its shape-like tomato paste.
- Spoon into clean hot jars leaving 1/4-inch head space.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 30 minutes at altitudes up to 1000 feet.
- Note-if your going to make quarter pints same process time please.