Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
You could add olives, chilli, fresh herbs (basil, parsley) or even chopped vegetables to vary the sauce when you are reheating it. Source: Burke's Backyard
- 4 kg red ripe tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- Score a small cross in the base of each tomato. Place into 2 large heat proof bowls and cover with boiling water. Let them stand for 3 mintues, then remove with tongs and cool slightly. Peel the skin from the tomatoes.
- Cut each tomato in half and scoop out the seeds. Chop the flesh.
- Heat the oil in a large stock pot and add the onions. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they are soft and golden. Add the garlic and cook for just 1 more minute.
- Add the tomatoes and bring to the boil. Cook over medium-low heat for 1 1/2 hours, until thick and pulpy. Stir often to avoid catching on the bottom. Stir in the vinegar and sugar and season to taste. Cool and divide between airtight containers or snap-lock bags, into useful portion sizes. Lable and date, and freeze for up to 2 months.