Prep 12 hrs
Cook 25 mins
I love to serve strata to weekend guests. While everyone sleeps in late on Sunday before heading home, I pop one in the oven. Folks go home full and happy! This is a small strata, perfect to 4 people.
- 2 slices Italian bread, cut into 1-inch pieces (use a crusty, baguette-style of bread)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Butter a 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Place bread cubes in bottom of dish in a single layer.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion to skilet and saute until translucent, 3-4 minutes. Add spinach and garlic to skillet. Saute another 3-4 minutes, or until spinach wilts. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Whisk together eggs, thyme, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir in spinach mixture and chopped tomato. Pour egg mixture over bread in baking dish and sprinkle with cheese.
- Refrigerate, covered, overnight. In the morning, remove dish from refrigerator and allow to stand for 30 at room temperature.
- Preheat oven 375.
- Bake strata for 25 minutes or until set. Allow to stand for 10 minutes.
This a very tasty recipe,had it for brunch yesterday.I followed recipe but had to use dry thyme,will make again and try with fresh.Loved it anyway,thanks.