Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 500 g tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup toor dal, reserved in water for 1 hour
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 90 g onions, finely chopped
- 4 green chilies, slit into half & seeded
- 1⁄4 cup clarified butter
- 3⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 8 pieces dried garlic, crushed
- 4 whole red chilies
- 12 curry leaves
- Put daal in a pan, add tomatoes, turmeric, red chilli powder, onions and green chillies.
- Bring to a boil, remove the scum, reduce to low heat, simmer, stirring at regular intervals, until the lentils are mashed.
- Continue to simmer.
- To prepare the tempering, heat ghee in frying pan, add mustard and cumin seeds, stir on medium heat until they begin to pop, add garlic and stir-fry until golden brown.
- Then add red chillies and curry leaves, stir until the chillies becomes bright red, and pour over the simmering daal.
- Remove and adjust seasoning.