Recipe by Amy Jo in Chicago, IL
We tried this recipe tonight-it was very tasty. For a sweeter soup, use no-salt added tomatoes.
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added stewed tomatoes, un-drained, cut up
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice
- 1⁄2 cup orzo pasta, uncooked
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans minced clams, un-drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon in large nonstick saucepan over medium heat until browned. Remove bacon from saucepan with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Add onion to bacon drippings; cook and stir over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until tender.
- Add water, tomatoes and clam juice. Bring to a boil. Add orzo and basil; mix well. Reduce heat; simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until orzo is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in clams. Cook about 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle each serving with bacon.