Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A lightened up version of one of my absolute favorite soups. Courtesy of Elephant's Deli in Portland, OR.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cansunsalted diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- In a saucepan, melt butter; add onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, baking soda, and thyme.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered about 15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Puree in a food processor or blender; strain through a sieve or food mill.
- Return to saucepan and stir in orange juice and cream. Bring to a simmer and adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve hot.
- If you can't find unsalted tomatoes, withhold salt until final tasting and adjust as preferred.
I love this soup! Thanks for the lightened recipe, I might even try making it with just low fat milk and see what I get.