Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
from today's ny times, and your garden.
- 1 medium red onions or 1 medium white onion, peeled and diced
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 clove garlic, peeled and minced,to taste
- 1⁄3 cup tahini paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, to taste
- 4 medium tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- lettuce leaf
- Soak onion in salted cold water while preparing other ingredients, about 30 minutes.
- Whisk or blend together garlic, tahini and cumin, and add lemon juice; the mixture will become very thick.
- Thin with hot water, a tablespoon at a time, just so the mixture can be spooned.
- (It will thin further when tossed with tomatoes).
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss onion, tomatoes and parsley with dressing.
- Taste, adjust the seasonings and serve over lettuce leaves.
I used a red onion, 1 whole garlic clove, 3 very large tomatoes and skipped the lettuce. I put the garlic, tahini, cumin, parsley in the blender (Vita Mix) and added 1 tablespoon tomato juice from the fresh cut tomatoes instead of the hot water. I also used Heather's seasoning salt for the salt and pepper. At first I was worried to make this I thought the tahini would be to strong but I was wrong. It `s not eye appealing but it `s very good.
Very good and easy to make -- a great way to use garden tomatoes and parsley. I admit I was a bit worried when the dressing was so thick that it was hard to stir -- but be careful not to add too much hot water to thin it out (step 3) because the tomatoes thin it out (step 4) making it a great accompaniant for barbecued pork chops. Thanks Chia for sharing!