1/3 Photos of Tomato Onion Rye Bread
2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 20 mins
Inspired by Rebecca's Jewish Rye Bread -- This fragrant tomato onion rye bread is studded with caraway seeds, has a a tender texture and a buttery outside crust. Great for ham and cheese sandwiches with tomato and lettuce; or use the bread for plain old grilled cheese sandwiches. Don't forget the pickles!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- water (add enough water to tomato sauce already listed to make 1-2/3 cups tomato and water mixed together)
- 1 tablespoon water (additional)
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
- 3 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 3 tablespoons dried onion
- 2 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- butter (about 2 tablespoons melted, for soft crust)
- 1Measure wet ingredients (water and tomato sauce to equal 1-2/3 cups, PLUS 1 tablespoon MORE water, molasses, olive oil, and lemon juice) into ABM pan.
- 2Measure rye, whole wheat, and bread flours, vital wheat gluten, caraway seeds, and dried onions into large mixing bowl.
- 3Spoon dry ingredient mixture into ABM pan.
- 4Measure bread machine yeast ~ add it to one corner of the ABM pan.
- 5Measure salt ~ add it to opposite corner (from the yeast) of the ABM pan.
- 6Select DOUGH cycle (or whole wheat cycle, 2-lb loaf, and light crust, if baking in the ABM).
- 7Check dough after machine has mixed for about 5-8 minutes ~ push any visible flour from corners of pan into dough with a spatula ~ check dough for a nice smooth consistency; if dough appears too dry or shaggy, then add 1 teaspoon water ~ if dough appears too wet, add 1 teaspoon flour.
- 8Caution: Rye flour dough mixture should appear to be stickier/more wet than doughs made without rye flour!
- 9For baking in the oven after using the DOUGH cycle, pour dough out onto a plastic mat (or onto table or counter top) sprayed with cooking spray.
- 10Punch down the dough and shape into a loaf; place dough into a 10-5/8 x 5-1/2 x 2-3/4 loaf pan sprayed with cooking spray; slash dough diagonally three times; let dough rise again for approximately 40 minutes, or until dough is 1 1/2 inches above baking pan.
- 11Preheat oven to 350°F (glass) ~ or preheat oven to 375F (metal pans).
- 12Bake in a 10-5/8 x 5-1/2 x 2-3/4 Pyrex loaf pan at 350F for 20 minutes ~ check loaf and tent with foil if bread is browning too fast ~ bake another 10 minutes for a total bake time of 30 minutes.
- 13Cool in pan 5 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack ~ cool 20 minutes.
- 14For a soft buttery crust, brush about 2 tablespoons melted butter over entire outside surface of bread (top, bottom, and sides). Cool completely, then place bread into a plastic bread bag for storage at room temperature.
- 15Note: Dough can be divided into two 1-lb loaves; and baked in 8x4 metal pans at 375F for 20-25 minutes.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato Onion Rye Bread
Serving Size: 1 (42 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 115.0
- Calories from Fat 17
- Total Fat 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 236.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 3.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vital wheat gluten