Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
An easy, great tasting condiment! From Kathleen Daelemans
- 5 -6 plum tomatoes, cored, peeled and cut into eighths
- 1 medium sweet onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tart apple, peeled, cored and cut into eighths
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- salt, to taste
- Place all ingredients in a large microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave uncovered on high for 20-25 minutes, or until apple and onion are cooked through, the excess liquid has evaporated, and the chutney is the consistency you want.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
I wasn't sure how well we'd like this recipe, but I needed an apple/tomato chutney for the Sausage & Egg Pocket With Tomato Chutney recipe that I tagged in the Fall 2012 Pick-A-Chef event. I didn't want to buy a jar of something that we might not even like, but even if I wanted to I couldn't. I tried to find some at the store, just to get an idea of what I was going to make, but had no luck. Well, this was so easy my 6 year old made it (aside from the chopping), and everyone really enjoyed it! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe, Nickeletta! We'll definitely be making it again!