Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a wonderful vegetarian spaghetti sauce. The nuts add a little crunch and a blast of flavor.
- 16 ounces canned tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning or 1⁄2 teaspoon you can use the italian flavored tomatoes and no italian seasoning
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts
- 1 onion, chopped in large pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 wax pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 ounces rigatoni pasta or 10 ounces rotini pasta or 10 ounces penne pasta
- parmesan cheese, if desired
- While you are preparing pasta according to package directions, make sauce.
- Heat oil in sauce pan and add onion, garlic, wax pepper (pepperochini), walnuts and Italian seasoning. Saute for a few minutes until onion is slightly tender. Add tomatoes and crush with fork just slightly, leaving them in chunks. Bring sauce to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes while pasta is boiling. Drain pasta.
- Place pasta in center of large serving bowl and top with sauce. Serve with parmesan cheese if desired and Italian bread.
Never in a million years would I have thought to put nuts into spaghetti sauce. I took a chance, its great> Keep the recipes coming.
All I added were a small can of sliced black olives. This is delicious. Nuts in sauce? Who would have think?
We all loved this. Very unique and I will make it again this weekend for Father's Day celebration since my Dad was crazy about it too. I used some shaved parmesan cheese over the top.