Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a wonderful recipe, especially if you have guests, as it is not time consuming yet is something a little more special. You can have this one on the table in about 40 Min's and most of that is the baking time so you can socialize and not be banished to the kitchen.
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1 kg piece filet of beef, halved horizontally
- 1⁄3 cup whole grain mustard
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato, drained, chopped finely
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs, flakes (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 30 g butter, melted
- 10 g butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 100 ml water
- Preheat oven to 200c.
- Combine mustard, tomatoes, flakes and melted butter in a bowl, press mixture over beef.
- In an oven proof dish pour stock and garlic and place beef in pan. Cook uncovered in the oven about 25 Min's for medium rare or until cooked as desired.
- Remove beef from pan and keep warm.
- Add softened butter, water and balsamic vinegar to pan juices, mix a little water with cornflour add to pan, stir over heat until mixture boils and thickens. Season with pepper.
- To Serve: Place beef on plate and drizzle with sauce, I served mine with roasted baby fennel and parsnip mash.
This was indeed a lovely recipe. It was quick and easy to prepare and the flavours of the crust was sensational. I only made 500g of steak as it is only DH & me. I toasted 2 slices of bread and made my own breadcrumbs,otherwise followed the recipe exactly. I added 1/2 teaspoon of honey to the sauce as it was a teensy bit tart for my taste. Served with roasted carrots and potatoes, which was done in the same oven with the beef. Made for Recipe Swap #22 Hakea Grp in the Aus/NZ forum