Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is good served over buttered and toasted French bread slices.
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup sweet vermouth or 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil
- In a large pot, cook the onion and garlic in hot butter and oil for 5 minutes or so; stir frequently.
- Add in the mushrooms; stir to combine.
- Cover and cook 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender.
- Add in the broth, water, vermouth or sherry, tomato paste, and pepper; stir.
- Bring to a boil; lower heat, cover pot and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls; sprinkle with parmesan cheese and basil.
This was very good and quick to boot! I followed directions to a "t", using dry sherry. I did add a little milk at the end to make it a little creamier which I liked. I floated little garlic toasts in the bowl and tossed with freshly grated Parmesan. Made an excellent lunch on a cool day!
Very good soup!! We love soup in our house and this was no exception...and so easy. The only thing I changed was added a little bit of heavy whipping cream at the end for a Creamy Tomato Mushroom Soup!
My husband made this for me when I was feeling under the weather. Very soothing and comforting and full of mushrooms. Loved the rich tomato flavor. He used dry sherry instead of sweet vermouth. I was feeling like my old self in no time. Thanks for sharing this recipe.