Recipe by Bec
Enjoy this light soup with a toasted cheddar cheese sandwich or a lemony Caesar salad.
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup sweet vermouth or 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon instant vegetable bouillon granules or 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules or 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons snipped parsley or 2 tablespoons fresh basil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 2-quart saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot margarine or butter and oil about 5 minutes or till onion is tender but not brown.
- Add mushrooms and cover and cook about 5 minutes more or till mushrooms are tender.
- Stir in the water, vermouth or sherry, tomato paste, bouillon granules, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- To serve, ladle soup into individual bowls.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley or basil.