Recipe by Sudie
This is my take on a recent Vegetarian Times recipe. This is so hearty and delicious, it can make you forget about steak! Better hope for leftovers; this is so tasty on Italian bread as a sandwich the next day!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package fresh mushrooms, cleaned and chopped coarsely
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon capers (packed in salt)
- 1⁄2 cup oil cured black olives, pitted
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large pot.
- Cook onions over medium-low heat until translucent, but not golden.
- Add garlic and mushrooms, cook another 3 minutes.
- Add vinegar, cook 3-4 minutes more, stirring continuously.
- Add tomatoes, chickpeas, capers, olives, oregano, S&P.
- Cook about 15 minutes more.
- Serve over rice or orzo.