Recipe by 3KillerBs
Whether you choose the elegant presentation or the family presentation this salad brings out the best in your summer-fresh, vine-ripened tomatoes (the pink rocks from the grocery store in winter just won't cut it). Use it as a side dish with something off the grill or cut into a slice of crusty, artisan bread and make it a cool, light, meal for hot weather. I'll confess -- I drink the juice from the bottom of the bowl ... if the kids don't beat me to it. ;) LOL
- 4 large vine-ripened tomatoes
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 3 -4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- coarse-ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop tomatoes, dice mozzarella, and chop the basil leaves.
- Toss in a glass bowl with the oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Garnish with parsley or basil leaves if desired.
- For a more elegant presentation slice the tomatoes and the cheese so that you have 12 slices of each. Arrange on a platter alternating a slice of tomato, a slice of cheese, and a leaf of basil. Drizzle with EVOO and vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Tip -- this is best at room temperature, especially if the tomatoes are still warm from the sun and have never been refrigerated.