Recipe by Sharon123
A delicious recipe from Ina Garten's cookbook, Barefoot Contessa at Home. If you don't have a panini press, that's okay, just place in a skillet with a heavy weight on top(foil covered brick, or heavy cast iron skillet, etc.) Enjoy!
Top Review by Rita~
I just love this. I would use ciabatta for this the next time. It would hold up to the juicy tomatoes and creamy pesto n mozzarella. No need for the salt so it was skipped. Used fresh home grown basil in Recipe #49909 for this Panini.Made in a skillet used a pan for the weight. Made for veggie tag. Thanks
- 2 large beefsteak tomatoes (or other large tomatoes)
- 453.59 g ball fresh mozzarella cheese
- 12 slice whole wheat bread, sliced 1/2-inch thick (or whole grain or white)
- 236.59 ml pesto sauce (homemade or storebought)
- kosher salt (optional)
- butter, unsalted, room temperature
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat a panini grill machine or a heavy skillet.
- Core the tomatoes and slice tomatoes and mozzarella 1/4" thick.
- Place the bread slices on a cutting board(or work surface). Spread each slice evenly with pesto. Place a layer of mozzarella(about 2 slices) on half of the bread and cover with a layer of tomato. Sprinkle the tomato with a little kosher salt.
- Place the remaining slices of bread, pesto side down, on top. Spread the top and bottom of each sandwich with sotened butter.
- Grill the sandwiches in batches on the panini grill for 2-3 minutes, until the mozzarella starts to ooze out. If using a skillet, place a weight on top(I usually use another heavy cast iron skillet, or use a foil coverd brick, or other flat, heavy object. Cook 2-3 minutes, turn and cook other side 1-3 minutes.).
- Cut the sandwiches in half and serve warm. Enjoy!
- This is also excellent with a slice of roasted red bell pepper in it!