Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Grease-free, healthy & DELICIOUS! Not too difficult, but a sure crowd pleaser! Make it Sunday, and eat it all week. Tomato-y, so always better the next day! Serve over linguine, dress fancy pasta, or dress-UP a potato! Freeze 1/2 for another day....
- Crumbled ground beef, and pre-cook in dutch oven (DO NOT brown, just render the fat/water).
- Drain pre-cooked beef (I do this in a strainer lined with paper towels). Wipe extra grease/water from bottom of pan with a paper towel.
- Chop onion and celery; finely dice carrot.
- Sauté onion and EVOO in dutch oven on low heat, until onion is translucent (be careful not to let onion get brown; this makes it bitter, which makes the sauce bitter. If it gets brown, throw it out & start again!).
- Add carrot, celery, and salt, continuing to sauté until all veggies soften, stirring often.
- Add beef, tomato, herb/spice. Stir. Cover and raise heat until sauce is simmering.
- Turn heat down to lowest possible. Continue to simmer, covered, for at least an hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- If heat is too high, or pot not well-insulated, water may need to be added.
- Add chopped parsley when you turn off the heat -- FINISHED!
- Note: Flat-edged wooden spatulas are best for lifting sugar-laden ingredients (i.e. veggies & tomato sauce) from the bottom of a pot.
- Alt: If you're not picky about fat, skip the 'pre-cook beef' step, and add beef directly to cooked veggies.