Recipe by Judith N.
It's not your Grandma's mac & cheese. Tomato and bacon bring exciting new flavors to a traditional dish. Courtesy of The Official Coobook of Central New Orlean's Tomato Post.
- 1⁄2 lb elbow macaroni
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- milk, to cover
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni and drain. Slice tomatoes.
- Cut up bacon in 1-inch lengths and fry with onions. Season with salt, red pepper and black pepper.
- Layer ingredients in a greased 3 or 4 quart casserole, starting with the macaroni, then sliced tomatoes, sprinkle with drained bacon and onion, then cheese. Repeat layers, ending with cheese on top. Pour milk over layers to cover.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour until browned.