Recipe by Redsie
My mom used to make a recipe that is similar to this when we were kids. The smell and the taste of this tomato mac & cheese brings back wonderful memories... Adapted from The Complete Canadian Diabetes Cookbook.
Top Review by **Mandy**
This was okay but not nearly saucy enough for me, The tomato mixture had great flavour though & my 19 mth old daughter ate a little which was a bonus as she's not eating much these days. If I make this again I will be making a cheese sauce to mix through the macaroni before baking.
- 6 cups macaroni
- 1⁄2 lb low fat mozzarella
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- In large pot of boiling salted water, cook macaroni until al dente. Drain well and transfer half to well-greased deep 12-cup casserole.
- Meanwhile, shred half of the cheese and dice remainder. Sprinkle half of each over macaroni in casserole. Top with remaining macaroni, then remaining cheese.
- Stir together tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt, thyme and pepper; pour over macaroni. Toss bread crumbs with margarine; sprinkle evenly on top. (Casserole can be prepared to this point, covered and refrigerated for up to 1 day. Bring to room temperature.).
- Bake, covered, in 350F oven for 40 minutes and uncovered 10 minutes or until top is golden brown.