Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I'm allergic to tomatoes and I'm always craving spaghetti so I found this recipe and it is really good. My husband likes it better than regular spaghetti sauce. I'm anxious to try it in lasagna. I also add a can of black olives and a can of mushrooms for texture.
- 5 red peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled but left whole
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place peppers, onion and garlic cloves into a 9" x 13" pan.
- Drizzle with olive oil and toss well.
- Put in oven and roast for about 45 minutes.
- Pour vegetables, all the black bits and the juices into a saucepan.
- Add water and seasonings and puree in a food processor.
- Stir in chicken broth and heat as for regular sauce.