Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a flavorful lentil vegetable soup. One from my vegetarian era
- 6 cups water
- 3 cups tomato puree (3 large chopped unpeeled ripe tomatoes and 1 cup water blended until smooth)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, quartered lengthwise,then diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 cups lentils
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 2 cups red cabbage or 2 cups green cabbage, diced
- 1⁄3 cup green pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups zucchini, sliced in 1/4 " thick half circles
- 3 cups broccoli, thinly sliced stems,bite-sized flowerettes
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 -4 tablespoons tamari, to taste
- salt, to taste
- Bring water, tomato puree, bay leaf, carrots, onion, lentils, celery, cabbage, green pepper, and olive oil to boil.
- Simmer, covered stirring occasionally, for about 45 minutes to 1 hour or until lentils are very soft and all vegies are tender.
- Add zucchini, broccoli, tomato juice, garlic, and vinegar.
- Simmer 10-15 minutes, or until the zucchini and broccoli are tender.
- Season with tamari and salt as desired.
Very very nice!! This makes a very thick soup, a bit like a stew and tastes great, even my (very!) picky son liked it. I didn't even use the vinegar and tamari. Thanks for posting this Tish!