Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
Haven't tried this yet but it sounded interesting so I'm putting the recipe here for safe keeping
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 chopped carrot
- 1 chopped celery
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup dice pancetta or 1⁄4 cup thickly sliced bacon
- 2 bay leaves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 dried thyme
- 3⁄4 cup dry green lentils
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- saute onions celery carrots garlic and pancetta in oil.
- add bay leaves and spices and cook 8 min or until vegetables are tender.
- stir in lentils tomatoes and wine bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 30-40
- discard bay leaves, stir in parsley.
- serve over penne or other pasta.
This is so good! I made it as written with the exception of the pancetta - if I had any on hand, I would have added it as well. I served it over rigatoni with a sprinkling of fresh parsley and parmesan. I will definitely make this again!
This is a great recipe. I added a little extra dash of red wine and substituted basil for the parsley as I had no parsley to hand. Thickened marvellously and lentils retained their shape. Many thanks to Beth E for posting. Regards, Fiona