Recipe by Tish
This soup needs only a simple salad and bread to make a very filling dinner.
Top Review by 997962
I did saute everything, but, that was just preference on my part. This is a delicious soup---my son and husband added a little hot sauce and raved about the flavor of the soup. They really liked the lentil and barley combination. Thanks for sharing this, Tish. In my family's words "this is a keeper".
- 1⁄2 lb dry lentils, rinsed
- 3⁄4 cup raw pearl barley or 3⁄4 cup pot barley, rinsed
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 large celery ribs, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup shredded white cabbage
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt free herb and spice seasoning mix
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the lentils and barley in a large soup pote with the water and bring to a simmer.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the salt and pepper, then return to simmer gently, covered until everything is tender about 45-55 minutes.
- Stir occasionally and add more water if the soup becomes too thick.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- If time allows, let the soup stand for an hour or so before serving, then heat through as needed.