1/2 Photos of Tomato Lemon Chicken Breasts with Sage
Rainberry Blues's Note:
I got this recipe from a borrowed cookbook (I can't remember the name of it) a few years ago. I've since adapted it a little bit, but not too much. It has become one of my tried-and-true recipes. I usually serve it with rice pilaf and a tossed salad, but once I served it with new potatoes and crusty rolls, and that was good too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 chicken bouillon cube, dissolved in
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- fresh sage leaf, for garnish (optional)
- lemon slice, for garnish (optional)
- 1Sprinkle chicken with a bit of salt and pepper.
- 2Over medium heat, lightly brown chicken on both sides for 5- 7 minutes.
- 3Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- 4In the same pan, saute onion, garlic, and carrot for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until onion just starts to brown.
- 5Add sage, lemon rind, and remaining salt and pepper.
- 6Cook 1 minute.
- 7Add tomato and bouillon.
- 8Scrape up any browned bits in the pan and stir them in.
- 9Bring to a boil.
- 10Return chicken and any juices to pan.
- 11Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 12Turn chicken once.
- 13Stir in lemon juice and cook, uncovered, 5- 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside.
- 14Serve with pan juices.
- 15Garnish with sage and lemon, if desired.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato Lemon Chicken Breasts with Sage
Serving Size: 1 (261 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 261.0
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 75.6 mg
- Sodium 828.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 26.3 g