Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I got this recipe from a borrowed cookbook (I can't remember the name of it) a few years ago. I've since adapted it a little bit, but not too much. It has become one of my tried-and-true recipes. I usually serve it with rice pilaf and a tossed salad, but once I served it with new potatoes and crusty rolls, and that was good too.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 chicken bouillon cube, dissolved in
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- fresh sage leaf, for garnish (optional)
- lemon slice, for garnish (optional)
- Sprinkle chicken with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Over medium heat, lightly brown chicken on both sides for 5- 7 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion, garlic, and carrot for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until onion just starts to brown.
- Add sage, lemon rind, and remaining salt and pepper.
- Cook 1 minute.
- Add tomato and bouillon.
- Scrape up any browned bits in the pan and stir them in.
- Bring to a boil.
- Return chicken and any juices to pan.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Turn chicken once.
- Stir in lemon juice and cook, uncovered, 5- 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Serve with pan juices.
- Garnish with sage and lemon, if desired.
This was execellent! The carrots added the tiniest crunch. The lemon was not overpowering like in most dishes. My BF who is trying to NOT eat meat broke down and ate a huge breast just because they smelled so good! I served this with a wild rice pilaf as suggested. Great recipe! UPDATE...Made again and added about 1/2 cup of white wine. Also EXCELLENT!
WOW! This was great! I served this over Sage and Parmesan Rice (#203770) and used fresh sage from my herb garden. The taste was incredible - we just couldn't get enough! I will definitely make this again - Thanks so much for this now family favorite!
This was good. The overwhelming flavor was lemon. I thought the flavor would be more complex...