1/2 Photos of Tomato Leek Tart
While looking for leek recipes I came across this interesting tart which I haven't made yet but will be making soon. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (August 1984)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 cup butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 -6 leeks, white and light green parts only, cut into 2-inch lengths and sliced inot 1/4 " juliene (about 4 cups)
- 1/3 cup shallot, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch saffron, crushed and dissolved in 1 tablespoon hot water
- 2 tablespoons anise liqueur
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 10 ounces Fontina cheese, grated
- 10 tomatoes, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 2/3 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1To make the pastry: in a food processor combine 3 cups of flour, sugar and salt until on/off turns. Add fennel and process for 30 seconds. Blend in 1 cup of butter (broken into pieces) using on/off turns until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add eggs while machine is running and mix just until dough comes together. You may need to add a bit more flour if dough doesn't come together. Remove dough from processor and shape into disc and wrap in wax paper and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- 2To prepare filling: melt the 3 T of butter and oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks and shallots and cook until soft (10 minutes). Add garlic and saffron and stir 2 minutes more. Blend in liqueur and cook for 2 more minutes or until it evaporates. Stir in parsley and salt and pepper. Cool to room temperature before proceeding.
- 3To assemble tart: preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- 4On a floured board roll dough out to fit 11-inch tart pan circle (about 1/4 inch thick). Fit into pan with a removeable bottom, and trim edges. Chill 30 minutes.
- 5Line pastry with foil and fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake for 8-10 minutes, remove foil and weights and bake for 10 more minutes or until golden.
- 6Spoon in leek mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Top with tomato slices, overlapping circles.
- 7Whisk together eggs, cream and salt and then pour over filling.
- 8Set tart on a baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes or until filling is set. Brush with melted butter during last 5 minutes of baking. Cool in pan on rack.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato Leek Tart
Serving Size: 1 (339 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 865.6
- Calories from Fat 508
- Total Fat 56.4 g
- Saturated Fat 32.9 g
- Cholesterol 310.8 mg
- Sodium 1318.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 15.5 g
- Protein 21.9 g