1 hr 10 mins
Sometimes life takes us on the strangest paths. My husband and I were cycling through New Zealand one day (on our round-the-world bike trip), when we passed a little jam and jelly stand outside of someone's house. We picked up some jam and a jar of relish that said 'tomato kasundi' on it. We had no idea what this was but once we opened it we fell in love with the slightly sweet, slightly sour, slightly spicy relish inside. It was just perfect for jazzing up cheese and crackers or sandwiches and we carefully rationed out the jar's contents over two weeks. We were so sad when the jar was finished so we sent a postcard to Sue, the maker of the relish according to the label, without really knowing her address but just by describing where the house was on the postcard. The postman came through and found Sue and 2 weeks after we mailed our card we got an email with the recipe. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 225 g fresh ginger, peeled
- 100 g garlic
- 50 g green chilies, sliced lengthwise, seeds removed
- 2 1/2 cups malt vinegar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons turmeric
- 5 tablespoons ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons chili powder (Sue uses about half this)
- 5 tablespoons mustard seeds, ground (Sue uses whole seeds)
- 2 kg tomatoes, chopped
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1Puree the ginger, garlic and chillies with a little vinegar into a paste.
- 2Fry in oil spices until an aroma starts to rise from the pan.
- 3Add the pureed paste, tomatoes, vinegar, sugar and salt.
- 4Cook until the oil starts to float on top (about half hour).
- 5Bottle with a thin film of oil on top to prevent drying out.
- 6Leave for 2 weeks for flavours to develop.
Browse Our Top Chutneys Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chutneys Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato Kasundi Relish
Serving Size: 1 (3420 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2409.2
- Calories from Fat 1112
- Total Fat 123.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 5542.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 325.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 24.7 g
- Sugars 257.5 g
- Protein 23.4 g