1/2 Photos of Tomato Juice - Canning
Ok...Here's THE recipe for canning tomato juice that doesn't separate. Just like store bought tomato juice. The trick is to bring the juice to a rolling boil again AFTER you have run it through your food mill. I usually juice around 2-3 bushels of tomatoes per year. In order to get that 'Store Bought' consistency, mix your tomatoes 50/50 roma and regular. So I always buy a bushel of romas and a bushel of regular. This year we bought 2 bushels each and have lots of juice for the year. This recipe should yield around 15 quarts/litres in general.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Core and peel tomatoes (Often, the day before, I will wash and core the tomatoes and freeze them first. Then just dunk them in a sink full of hot water and the peel falls right off). UPDATE: This year I didn't even bother to peel them, just core them and continue. The peel will come out in step 4.
- 2Place the tomatoes in a large stock pot and as you fill it, bring them to a rolling boil, stirring regularly (They will burn if you don't). I usually squish the first few with a potato masher to cover the bottom of the stock pot with liquid in order to get the boiling process kick started.
- 3Sterilize your jars (I do this in the dishwasher).
- 4Once you have all your tomatoes in the stock pot and boiling up a storm, ladle them into your food mill and grind out the mixture into pots, scraping the good stuff off the sides of the cone into your juice.
- 5Throw out the remaining pulp and return the juice to the stock pot.
- 6Bring back to a rolling boil.
- 7Add salt. (I usually add 1 tsp to each litre/quart). This is optional of course.
- 8Pour into jars leaving 1/2 inch air space.
- 9Place jars into canner and boil for 25 minutes.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato Juice - Canning
Serving Size: 1 (3 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 0.0
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.0 g