1 hr 5 mins
Better Homes and Gardens
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained (or 6 medium tomatoes, peeled and quartered)
- 2 cups strong brewed coffee
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- hot pepper sauce
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- 2Add onion, celery, and carrot.
- 3Cook about 5 minutes or until nearly tender, stirring occasionally.
- 4Add tomatoes, coffee, 1/2 cup water, tomato paste, sugar, salt, and hot pepper sauce to taste.
- 5Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- 6Cover; simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender; cool slightly.
- 7Place half of tomato mixture in a blender or food processor.
- 8Cover and blend or process until smooth.
- 9Transfer to a bowl; repeat with remaining tomato mixture.
- 10Return all of the tomato mixture to saucepan.
- 11Stir in 1/4 cup of the whipping cream; heat through.
- 12In a medium bowl, beat the remaining 1/2 cup whipping cream with an electric mixer on low speed just until soft peaks form (tips curl).
- 13Top each serving with whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato-Joe Soup
Serving Size: 1 (345 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 212.9
- Calories from Fat 138
- Total Fat 15.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.3 g
- Cholesterol 50.9 mg
- Sodium 502.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 3.7 g