Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
Better Homes and Gardens
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained (or 6 medium tomatoes, peeled and quartered)
- 2 cups strong brewed coffee
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- hot pepper sauce
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, and carrot.
- Cook about 5 minutes or until nearly tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, coffee, 1/2 cup water, tomato paste, sugar, salt, and hot pepper sauce to taste.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover; simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender; cool slightly.
- Place half of tomato mixture in a blender or food processor.
- Cover and blend or process until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl; repeat with remaining tomato mixture.
- Return all of the tomato mixture to saucepan.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of the whipping cream; heat through.
- In a medium bowl, beat the remaining 1/2 cup whipping cream with an electric mixer on low speed just until soft peaks form (tips curl).
- Top each serving with whipped cream.