Recipe by Dib's
This is a very good old time jam thats great on toasted english muffins-not to mention a great way to use a surplus of tomatoes.
Top Review by Jeanne
I made the recipe, however, I added Mixed Pickling Spices, tied in a Cheesecloth, and let it marinate over night after boiling for 15 minutes. I also added the ginger root inside the Cheesecloth. I am entering it in the State Fair. Wish me luck!
Directions See How It's Made
- Scald, peel, core and quarter tomatoes-Squeeze out seeds and juice reserving only the pulp.
- Bring to a boil, reduce and simmer for 10 minutes-stirring frequently-uncovered.
- Measure-you want 3 cups of pulp.
- Put pulp, lemons and pectin in a large pot-stainless or enamel.
- Bring to a full boil stirring constantly.
- Add sugar and boil rapidly for another 3 min.
- Cool for 5 min, stirring often.
- Ladle into clean, hot jars leaving 1/4 inch head space.
- Process for 10 minutes at altitudes up to 1000 feet.